Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Stereo Rack


My DIY Flexy Stereo Rack

The Finished Stand
I've wanted something better than my older stereo stand every since I got my new record player.  It was simply too big and heavy to rest on top of my cd player.  Of course, as with everything in the audio world, stands were expensive.


Then I found plans for the "flexy" rack.  You start with three threaded steel rods and make your shelves.  I've been told that three rods increases stability.  I'm not sure about that one, but what I do know is that three (instead of 4) means that it's much easier to level out the shelves.

I have acorn nuts at the bottom of each of the rods.  I also placed furniture coasters below them to protect the floor.  My favorite part is the double shelf for the turntable.  Sandwiched between the shelves are audio isolater cones that keep vibrations from travelling up to the turntable.  Thus, it skips a whole lot less.


Well, there it is.  It was fun to build, and I really like the look.




No comments:

Post a Comment